May 16 Storm Debris Pick Up
give feedback
alert diamond Report it!

Fireman's Park

PARK Central: 979-337-7250 | Rainout Line: 979-337-7233 | Office: 1800 E. Tom Green St., Brenham, TX 77833

Fireman's Park - 901 N. Park Street

Park Features:


Fireman's Park
From the establishment of Fireman's Park in 1884, the citizens have enjoyed an open space that had been a memorable experience for community affairs as well as family events. In 1884, the Fire Department used its own funds to purchase the site of Fireman's Park. Fireman's Park was eventually given by the Fire Department to the City of Brenham on March 14, 1917 "for cancellation of the department's indebtedness to the city." The Park was originally used by the Fire Department for their sponsoring of the Maifest Celebration from 1881 until 1941. Today, it is still the site for our Maifest Celebration as well home to Finke Pavilion, our newly renovated Antique Carousel, and the baseball stadium which has received national recognition through the years. Cited as being "one of the nicest high school ballparks in America" it has witnessed major league and semi-professional league action.


Fireman's Park, covering 30 acres, is located just blocks away from Downtown Brenham. The City of Brenham Parks Department plants numerous types of flowers such as lilies and black-eyed susans that attract several different species of birds. The kitchen and pavilion can be rented for parties, special occasions, or events of all sorts. Looking for a place to have your child's birthday party or maybe even a family reunion, Fireman's Park is just the place. There are plenty of areas for kids to play on the playground equipment and places to sit and watch. For more information, please call (979) 337-7250.


Fireman's Kitchen

Rental Availability - Deposit $100 | Half day $150 | Full day $200

Fireman's Party Room

Rental Availability - Deposit $100 | Half day $75 | Full day $150


Carousel Information


Family reading a StoryWalk board

StoryWalk® is an outdoor reading experience where a children’s book is deconstructed, and the pages of the book are laminated and placed on display boards along a walking trail to promote reading and exercise. StoryWalks® was created by Anne Ferguson of Montpelier, VT, and developed in collaboration with the Vermont Bicycle & Pedestrian Coalition and the Kellogg Hubbard Library.

How does it work?
A series of approximately 20 signs featuring two wonderful children’s picture books, “The Wonky Donkey” and “The Dinky Donkey” has been spread throughout the half-mile trail at Fireman’s Park allowing families to enjoy walking the trail and reading as you go. The story begins at the Nancy Carol Roberts Memorial Library near the Michael Mansfield Owsley Memorial Playground & Serenity Garden. Park hours are from 5:00am-11:00pm.

“This program promotes literacy, getting outside, and connecting with family” adds Librarian Andria Heiges. Display boards are spaciously placed along the trail allowing for plenty of room to practice physical distancing.

StoryWalk® - Map

Map of StoryWalk - click for PDF

Locate Fireman's Park 

Lone Star Legacy Park

Designation in 2014

The Texas Recreation and Parks Society honored eight parks including Brenham's Fireman's Park with the Lone Star Legacy Park designation at the annual Institute and Expo in February 2014. A Lone Star Legacy Park is a park that holds special prominence in the local community and the state of Texas. These parks have endured the test of time and have become iconic to those who have visited, played, and rested on their grounds. A designation as a Lone Star Legacy Park is one of the highest honors that can be bestowed on a park. Fireman's Park is one of 22 designated parks in the state of Texas.

Download:  Lone Star Legacy Information sign

Historic Beginnings

A heated exchange between Union soldiers and local citizens in September 1866 led to the eventual development of the City of Brenham’s flagship park. The soldiers, part of an infantry company, took issue with comments made in the local newspaper and set the town on fire – not once, but twice. And so was born the Brenham Fire Department – organized under the pretense of protecting the community from fire, but in reality, as a way to defend it from the Union soldiers. The department’s history has been intertwined with that of the City since. It was through the firemen’s generosity that Fireman’s Park was founded. In November 1883, the Mechanics Engine Company No. 1 and the Hook and Ladder Company No.1, purchased 14 acres of land from Pocahontas Higgins through his guardian, David B. Williams. Together, these two companies paid $80 per acre for a total of $1,160. The tract of land was named Fireman’s Park, a name it still holds today. It was deeded to the Brenham Fire Department in 1884 and eventually deeded to the City in 1917.

Heritage Preservation

Fireman’s Park has been home to the annual Maifest, a popular German festival, since 1884. It is also the original site of the Washington County Fair. The park houses the Flying Horses Antique Carousel, the Finke Pavilion, the American Legion Hall, Veteran’s Plaza and Fireman’s Field. Each building has a history all its own. Two of the Washington County Little League’s original fields, Greenwade and Pflughaupt fields, were part of Fireman’s Park. Greenwade still remains as the site of a baseball themed playscape. Brenham is the Baseball Capital of Texas and is home to Fireman’s Field, one of the nicest high school ballparks in America. Nolan Ryan pitched against the Cubs at Fireman’s Field in 1965 and legend has it that the field was the site of the Texas A&M and University of Texas alumni baseball games.

Historic Features

A 16-sided building was constructed to house the Flying Horses Carousel, in 1932. That building, along with the original kitchen, American Legion Hall, beer garden and a small hut were part of a Works Progress Administration project. The carousel building received a new roof as part of a renovation of the park and a new kitchen was built as well, but the American Legion Hall and hut remain as they were originally constructed.

Community Support

Fireman’s Park has always enjoyed strong community support. The Flying Horses Carousel was maintained for a number of years by local civic groups like the Lions and Kiwanis Clubs. The Washington County Arts Council sponsors a “Music in the Park” program during the summer, opening the carousel to children free of charge. And of course, Maifest continues its tradition of celebrating the local heritage at Fireman’s. A community supported renovation of the Flying Horses and the building housing it turned into a total facelift for the park in 2005. A fund raising effort – “Rally Round the Carousel” – was started. A local family came forward with monies to construct a new pavilion – in the old Turnverein style. Nearly $200,000 was raised in private donations, grants and sales tax revenues to cover the renovations. The park “re-opened” in 2007 as part of the Maifest celebration and it continues to draw both local residents and visitors to its attractions.